I’m going to apologize for such a crappy photo. I could NOT find the camera and my phone was dead. GRrr…
Anywho, I’ve been reading, “The Lean” by Kathy Freston. It’s a really great book! I’m on a battlefield to lose 100lbs and my first war that I’ve come against is eating breakfast. I’m a morning person, I just have a VERY hard time eating breakfast. So, I’ve decided to make a goal to eat breakfast everyday – starting today!
Kathy posted on the Huffington Post‘s website a morning breakfast recipe. I’ve made a few modifications but overall this is a FAB breakfast meal and one I will continue to make. Give it a try.
This recipe is one of the many delicious recipes created by Dayna McLeod specially for The Lean: A Revolutionary (and Simple!) 30-Day Plan for Healthy, Lasting Weight Loss.
This breakfast quinoa recipe is so delicious it can double as a dessert. Quinoa is naturally loaded with protein and fiber, so it provides long-lasting energy throughout your day. A perfect way to start your morning out right.
Active time: 10 minutes
Start to finish: 25 minutes
½ cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
½ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
½ cup water
1 teaspoon Earth Balance spread
1 medium apple, diced, with peel 1 Kiwi, diced
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ cup toasted
walnuts sliced almonds
1 tablespoon agave nectar
1. In a small saucepan, bring the quinoa, milk, water, and salt to a boil for 2 minutes.
2. Reduce, heat to low and cover for 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. Remove from the heat and let sit, covered, for 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a small skillet over medium heat, melt the Earth Balance spread. Add the apple, stir together until evenly coated, and saute for 1 minute. Cover and cook for 3 minutes, or until soft.
4. Add the Earth Balance, cinnamon and walnuts and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Stir in the almond mixture with the quinoa, and divide between two bowls.
6. Drizzle the agave nectar on top and enjoy!